RE: [platform-swt-dev] SWT port for Swing!

Title: RE: [platform-swt-dev] SWT port for Swing!

> Well, I consider this port as a backup solution for people
> running into
> trouble because of portability issues or missing components.
> I have seen
> some desperate call to try to integrate some ready made Swing
> components
> into an SWT interface for example. Or some platform that
> became a mandatory support, and so the project could not go
> further with SWT. With Swing capability, people could decide
> to go straight using SWT,
> without fear, knowing that in case of problems they have an
> other option. That way, I guess more people could give a try to SWT :)

So does your SWT port make it possible to mix Swing and SWT components in the same Composite?  So, for example, using your port my application would be able to use components from the JClass suite right alongside the SWT ones?  (Of course, this breaks portability of the app back to pure SWT platforms, so one would only do this after careful consideration...)

If this is true, this is an interesting idea in the sense that it makes components written for SWT work under both SWT and Swing although the reverse wouldn't be true.

> I personally do it because I want to deliver java applications
> that are
> fully portable. If SWT is not supported on a platform, then I
> can use my
> port, otherwise, I would use SWT.

This is reasonable.  It also removes Sun's argument that SWT isn't as portable as Java is.

Very interesting work.  I'll be following it closely to see what happens.

Best regards,

Dave Orme
daveo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top