RE: [platform-swt-dev] possible XML SWT markup language?

> From: public@xxxxxxxxx
>
> I say we keep with the Eclipse princple of 1-to-1 mappings outside the
> single layer of abstraction.  1 XML tag to 1 SWT object.  1 property
> to 1 method.  Let there be different, seperate XML descriptors for
> SWT/Swing/AWT.  They will each be simpler, faster, easier to work with.

And couldn't you then, if need be, create a higher level set of tags that
you could simply translate to the SWT-specific tagset (or any other
UI-specific version) via XSLT?  What you're doing then is abstracting the
programming to a generalized definition language, which can then be
extended.

For example, you could conceivably extend this model to an entire client
definition language by including a meta-language definition of server
requests.  If you had a high-level definition of the UI and the messages,
you could conceivably then just run this through an XSLT translate to get a
specific implementation for, say, SWT for the UI and web services for the
messages.  Other XSLT translations could map to Swing and sockets, or HTML
and PCML (an IBM program call markup language).

The possibilities here are pretty interesting.

Joe

Back to the top