RE: [platform-swt-dev] SWT port for Swing!

Well, I consider this port as a backup solution for people running into
trouble because of portability issues or missing components. I have seen
some desperate call to try to integrate some ready made Swing components
into an SWT interface for example. Or some platform that became a mandatory
support, and so the project could not go further with SWT.
With Swing capability, people could decide to go straight using SWT,
without fear, knowing that in case of problems they have an other option. That
way, I guess more people could give a try to SWT :)

I personaly do it because I want to deliver java applications that are
fully portable. If SWT is not supported on a platform, then I can use my
port, otherwise, I would use SWT.

Also, I think Swing applications using SWT would be of better quality,
as SWT forces to be in the correct thread, which Swing does not. Swing
is faster and faster as Java evolves, but developers often missuse it...

And moreover, I do this for fun :)  I just wanted to see the inside of
the ports originally!

-Christopher

-----------------------------

If someone was going to make a "portable back-end" for SWT, it might be
better to make a straight-up Java2D raw implementation of button and
widget back-ends, without all the pluggable GUI stuff, since it's a drag
on performance, and you're limiting it by using SWT anyway.

It's a cool idea, but you could actually make a high-performance
portable SWT backend in Java if you were willing to abandon the
(dubious) benefits of certain swing features.

Regards,
Christian.

Back to the top