RE: [platform-swt-dev] possible XML SWT markup language?

Yes, I am suggesting that we build SWT bindings into Jython. Yes, Jython does
have gui widgets already. And no- jython is NOT another language.

Jython is Java. All Jython (not python) does is compile jython scripts to java
code, compile that to bytecode and insert it into the VM at runtime. So the
widgets Jython is using *are* swing widgets. And since it is not anotehr
language you can go back and forth at runtime. You can declare objects in
Jython and communicate with them from Java and Visa Versa. So, since you can
use Swing from Jython (which is really Java) you should also be able to use
SWT.

-jonathan

--- public@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> are you suggesting that we build SWT bindings into Jython?  Jython already
> has a gui widget set, does it not?
> I agree that there are some types of (usually dynamic) screens that can't
> be represented by a tree data set (XML), and can only be represented by a
> programming language of some sort.  But we already have Java for that -
> why introduce another language?
>
> -- Derek Anderson
> Senior Software Engineer
> Computer Sciences Corp.
> http://www.csc.com
>

> > Dave,
> >
> > No problem. Obviously Jython is a scripting language whereas XML is a
> > markup language, so why did I mention Jython? It really has to do with
> > application. Some of the time that you would want to use XML to create
> > UIs with SWT, Jython, a full powered scripting language might be a
> > better choice. Im not suggesting that XML stuff shouldnt go on, but
> > sometimes a scripting language might be better.
> >
> > Lets get practical and talk some scenarios. You can define a SWT screen
> > in XML. Cool. Then you have to have a controller of some kind to
> > process the XML and create the SWT components at run time. That can be
> > useful for static screens. But say you want to do something dynamic?
> > You can build functionality into a controller, but every time you want
> > to do something new you have to add new functionality into the
> > controller. Thats because XML is essentially a huge datastructure-
> > defining hierarchical data. But it is not a programming language. So
> > you cant do anything dynamic really in the XML.
> >
> > With a scripting language on the other hand you can create programmatic
> > constructs to do things like create a button or page for every item in
> > (array|list|hashtable|etc). Not to say that you always want to do this
> > but there are some advantages.
> >
> > Basically, there are some advantages to using a scripting language. If
> > you want to get away from writing SWT code, you can reduce it by about
> > half using a scripting language while not sacrificing functionality. I
> > believe this is as interesting and useful as XML markup and should be
> > considered in parallel.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> > -jonathan

=====