Re: [platform-swt-dev] UTF-8 support and compliant components

Just noticed a small problem. Now all new files I create appear to
be in UTF-8 format. It would be nice if I could specify the default
encoding used when creating a new file. If it is already there I
couldn't find it.

I am starting to feel that internationalisation and unicode support
should be looked at as an issue in general. This would hopefully
produce a document noting the current limitations and work arounds
and what should be done to make sure that the different scenarios
work properly on various platforms.

Andre

Andre John Mas wrote:
If forgot something obvious, setting the -D option on the VM of
the subprocess too. This gets me the following:

   123-g5Ξ㈯冓

So it works. Though while the copy and paste shows all the characters
correctly the last two were represented as boxes in the console, indicative that the font used in the console probably does not
include the Chinese glyphs.

I wonder whether it would be possible to use the same sort of logic
used in the Java API, and also Mozilla, to look in another font for
the missing glyphs - or maybe this is something that the system should
be handling?

A further test show that if you don't set the file encoding used by
Eclipse to UTF-8, while setting that of the client process, you get
the following (mangled data):

   123-g5Ξ㈯冓

Also, you must set the file encoding used by the child VM as a parameter
to the VM, doing a System.setProperty() is too late, since the
output stream has already been initialised.

Andre

Andre John Mas wrote:

On your suggestion I tried that passing the following parameters:

   -vmargs -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

based on the docs at:

  http://dev.eclipse.org/help21/index.jsp?topic=
    /org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/running_eclipse.htm

but that does not work either. I see that the file encoding is
is set to UTF-8 in the 'About Eclipse' window, but this doesn't
seem to be affecting the output.

Andre

Knut Radloff wrote:

The console is using the StyledText widget, I verified that StyledText displays the characters correctly when using the same font set in the Console. This doesn't appear to be font related anyway. When I run the same println outside Eclipse, on the command line it also does not print correctly. It looks like something gets messed up on the way through System.out.println. What is the file.encoding VM/system property set to? This is displayed as the default text file encoding on the Workbench/Editors preference page.
You could try running Eclipse with the vm argument -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

Knut

Andre John Mas <ajmas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/24/2003 04:08 PM
Please respond to platform-swt-dev