[platform-swt-dev] SWT test automation, was: gui testing tool which supports eclipse ?????

Pradeep Bojan Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:35:45 +0530

You, me, and a thousand other unfortunates :-)

Timothy Wall Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:46:13 -0500
>>> Unfortunately, such a tool would be very platform-specific

Well, a datapoint: Rational RobotJ does SWT test automation in Windows
and Linux. (Dunno about other platforms.)

Alexandre Iline Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:47:19 -0800 (PST)
>> I've run some experiments directed to find out if automation in SWT
>> is possible: using SWT API and AWT Robot, you can do _almost_
>> anything. Almost, because, menus, scrollers and some other stuff do
>> not have API enough to play with them (just like AWT menus).

Alexandre Iline Wed Mar 26, 2003  6:14 pm
> I was able to create several "operators" (in jemmy meaning) for
> several "controls" (in SWT meaning). I used java only, it worked for
> Solaris and MS Windows. And it was not such a big deal either.

<snip>

> I am not allowed to do any deep research, I, certainly, am not
> allowed to share my results and code. I'm sorry about that.

Well, could you take a look at the "roadmaps" at

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=790404&forum_id=168263
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=786073&forum_id=204671

and contribute any suggestions you might have?

There are a lotta folks currently looking for a good, Java-based,
JUnit-integrated, whitebox, SWT test automation framework--i.e. not a
blackbox tool (like RobotJ), and not a native-oriented tool (like the
Mercury tools or the Rational Robot family).

Note that I am _not_ trying to slam Rational--they have a nice-looking
product called TestRT

http://www.rational.com/demos/viewlets/test_rt/component_testing/1/componenttesting_viewlet_viewlet_swf.html

that I wish they could extend to support launched instances of Eclipse
workbenches--but their current offerings for SWT are IMHO tester-
oriented, rather than developer-oriented.

Back to the top