RE: [platform-swt-dev] A question about stand-alone SWT applicati ons

The refactoring of the UI plugins was done in the 2.1 stream.  We have not
yet started 2.2.

Previously in 1.0 and 2.0, JFace was part of the UI plugin
(org.eclipse.ui).  In 2.1, it was broken out into its own plugin
(org.eclipse.jface).
The text components were also separated out (org.eclipse.jface.text,
org.eclipse.text, org.eclipse.editors, and
org.eclipse.workbench.texteditor).
For more details of the structure, see the Platform-UI and Platform-Text
team pages under "Development Resources".

org.eclipse.jface depends on org.eclipse.swt and org.eclipse.core.runtime.
 The latter is for various "utility" classes like IProgressMonitor and
IStatus.
It is not strongly tied to the Eclipse runtime infrastructure (i.e. the
plugin story).

If you want to write standalone apps using SWT and JFace, you can do so,
but you will need to copy the referenced classes in
org.eclipse.core.runtime into their own jar.  You could also include the
whole org.eclipse.core.runtime jar, but this would be overkill.

Nick

Dave Orme <DaveO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
03/26/2003 08:49 AM
Please respond to platform-swt-dev