RE: RE: [platform-swt-dev] org.eclipse.swt.SWT

In my post I had added

    [Note: I'm not trying to redesign Point here, but present
           an example of how getters/setters give you a ton
           of flexibility in implementation]

I was using Point as a general example. I'm not arguing for changes to
the Point class; I was stating examples of the types of benefits that
getters/setters can have. It boils down to giving you flexibility to do
things later that you didn't think of during initial design.

BTW: Notification of Point changes could be quite useful, if, for
example, you were using it as part of a model of a drawing tool. For
example, maybe a user performs an "align left" command in a graphical
tool. This would update x/y of Points in the model (likely via a
command). If the updates caused events to be fired, the GUI update could
be based only on model changes...

Creating getters/setters upfront enables changes to support these types
of ideas later in the life of the component...

-- Scott

Back to the top