RE: RE: [platform-swt-dev] org.eclipse.swt.SWT

> From: Erik Poupaert
>
> I'm against setting the initial width.
>
> Just tell both righthand side Text and Label to grab excess horizontal
> space, and to fill remaining width. (I guess both properties actually mean
> the same, soit!). And make sure not to tell this to the lefthand side
> widgets! The only thing you have to do is then to set the initial
> bounds of
> the Shell, if you don't like the default size; and all widgets
> automatically
> fall into place.

Alright, I'm just going to concede that for now, I'll have to deal with the
fact that SWT is a bit more difficult than Swing; it's definitely not a UI
for the faint of heart.  I must learn a number of extra steps and
intricacies in order to use SWT for developing a UI.  It's got some
wonderful advantages, but it's more painstaking to use.

I will get arguments from some people that the point of a new UI dialect
should be to make it easier to develop applications.  Your point is that it
may not be easier, but the end product is better.  It's an interesting
tradeoff.

Enough.  I at least now have a good idea of the state of the API, the
mindset of some of the developers and users, and I can draw my own
conclusions and make my own business decisions from there.

Joe

Back to the top