RE: RE: [platform-swt-dev] org.eclipse.swt.SWT

>>1. The requirement of the additional platform-specific module.
Yes its true that platform-specific module is being used. But I don't think
it cause any changes in the software that we have developed (if we are
careful not to touch internals). It affects only in deployment procedure.
Not a big problem. With Web start etc, you can cleanly wrap the whole
bundle with a configuration. Only thing being that we have to write 4
configurations (if 4 platforms are supported) instead of one. Again no a
big problem as it is a matter of 1/2 hour work.

>>1a. SWT is not 100% Pure Java, so can only go where a native
implementation
is available.
Yes, here Java has an advantage that it has been here for a longer duration
and has multiple platform support. But look at what happened in JDK 1.4.1,
it is not support in Solaris 2.6 (Guess what the Swing is the reason they
removed support). Neither they have plans for it. So its not only limited
to SWT. Also, because of some design decisions, porting SWT to native
platform is faster. The native calls are one-to-one with underlying
windows, i.e., there is not much logical processing being done in native
libraries (atleast that's what they told me) most of the code for native
window management etc are done in SWT.

>>1b. Swing requires an additional deployment step.

>>2. With the push toward "Open", SWT is perceived as less open than Swing
(because of the native implementation layer).  This is ironic, since in
reality SWT is now more open than Swing.
I agree; as SWT is more open in practise, I would feel much more safer.

>>3. SWT is newer, less mature and less documented.  The snippets base in
conjunction with the Javadoc is adequate but not great (see my thread on
the
label update issue).
Yes. I totally agree with this. But it cannot be helped.

Indukumar

                                    "Joe Pluta"
                        <joepluta@plutabrothers           To:  <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                          .com>           cc:
                        Sent by:                          Subject:   RE: RE: [platform-swt-dev]
                        platform-swt-dev-admin@             org.eclipse.swt.SWT
                        eclipse.org

                            02/27/2003 04:43 PM
                              Please respond to
                               platform-swt-dev

> From: vellapillli_h.indukumar@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> >>1. The requirement of the additional platform-specific module.
>
> Not a concern for the business user. As a business user, I double
> click the
> program icon and I run the program.

You're right, business USERS don't care.  I misread your question, because
wasn't talking about users.

Try answering again using "commercial software developer" instead of
"business user".  You can't become a business user unless there is a
developer out there writing software for you to use.  I'm speaking strictly
from the viewpoint of a person who writes commercial software for a living
(and not consulting, either - packaged software).

Joe