[platform-swt-dev] Tab order & drawing (Z) order

Hi,

I was just looking at the SWT/Win32 & SWT/GTK2 sources I noticed that SWT has in fact two conceptions of controls’ order:

1)       Drawing order, manipulated via Control.moveAbove()/moveBelow()

2)       TAB traversal order, implemented all in Java, manipulated via Composite.GetTabList()/setTabList()

Is that true or I’ve overlooked something..?

If so, why the need for two different orders? In The One True Operating System, there is a single, “Z” order which defines both of these. Same in other toolkits I’ve seen J

Also, it seems to me that by using Windows Dialogs for Composite, Shell, etc. the TAB traversal Java code could have been avoided. I’m probably wrong here though.

Guys, I need to know the answer because I’m planning to unite the two orders in SWT/Fox; (setTabList() will have the side effect of changing the drawing order and vice versa).

It shouldn’t have serious implications shouldn’t it? I mean, if controls are to be TAB traversed, they normally don’t overlap, so the drawing order is a non-issue. And if they do overlap, usually the first covers all the others, so TAB order is not an issue.

Am I wrong? Probably. I know OTI/SWT developers do read the list so please be so kind to answer me at least once - constructively. J

/Ivan

Back to the top