RE: RE: [platform-swt-dev] org.eclipse.swt.SWT

>>1. The requirement of the additional platform-specific module.

Not a concern for the business user. As a business user, I double click the
program icon and I run the program. Its inconsequential for me if the
application was developed in C, C++, Java SWT. It should have a familiar
look as my operating system (as I am used to it) and must behave in the
same way as other softwares installed in my system.

>>1a. SWT is not 100% Pure Java, so can only go where a native
implementation
is available.

Same in Java. You can use Java only where it has a virtual machine
implementation available. Remember, Mac OS used be behind (now its o.k.) in
JVM.

>>1b. Swing requires an additional deployment step.

>>2. With the push toward "Open", SWT is perceived as less open than Swing
(because of the native implementation layer).  This is ironic, since in
reality SWT is now more open than Swing.

Not a matter of concern for the business user. He is interested in the
functionality of the application.

>>3. SWT is newer, less mature and less documented.  The snippets base in
conjunction with the Javadoc is adequate but not great (see my thread on
the
label update issue).

Again, insignificant for a B-User.

                                    "Joe Pluta"
                        <joepluta@plutabrothers           To:  <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                          .com>           cc:
                        Sent by:                          Subject:   RE: RE: [platform-swt-dev]
                        platform-swt-dev-admin@             org.eclipse.swt.SWT
                        eclipse.org

                            02/27/2003 04:15 PM
                              Please respond to