RE: RE: [platform-swt-dev] org.eclipse.swt.SWT

Well, don't you think that we have deviated a bit from the subject of the
original posting?

                                    "Joe Pluta"
                        <joepluta@plutabrothers           To:  <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                          .com>           cc:
                        Sent by:                          Subject:   RE: RE: [platform-swt-dev]
                        platform-swt-dev-admin@             org.eclipse.swt.SWT
                        eclipse.org

                            02/27/2003 08:38 AM
                              Please respond to
                               platform-swt-dev

> From: Bob Foster
>
> Good grief! Is this recent sequence of postings generated by a spam bot?

No, it's generated by two people having an actual discussion about the
merits of SWT and Swing, a pretty relevant topic.  If it wasn't for the
fact
that I actually have a life outside of this list, I'd be offended by your
remark. <smile>

> Y'all try to keep in mind the difference between opinions and
> accomplishments.

Well, considering they're not even similar, I guess I'd have to do that,
wouldn't I?  What accomplishments are you referring to, anyway?

As to opinions, that's what this is all about.  The opinion of those of us
in the software development community as to whether it makes sense to use
SWT instead of Swing.  Given the fact that there are alternatives out
there,
such as JGoodies, I need to know from a business standpoint whether SWT
makes sense.

One of the most important issues is ease of use.  Erik thinks that a little
roughness is acceptable because of the sense of community and "fun",
whereas
in my world it's more about the tool's ability to get the job done.

Who's to say whose viewpoint is "correct"?  We're just bouncing ideas
around.  And it's not as if this particular mailing list is exactly
overloading anyone's inbox at this point.

In any event, the commercial acceptance of SWT is not really dependent upon
opinions of SWT 'philes or SWT 'phobes; their minds are made up.  It really
depends on the opinion of those of us on the fence who own software
development companies and make decisions about which dialect to program in.
If SWT doesn't add to the bottom line, it's not going to make it in my
world, regardless of how fun it is.

Joe