Re: [platform-swt-dev] Re: FW: SWT History and Design Decisions ( WAS: [platform-swt-dev] AWT Toolkit using SWT (was: From Swing to SWT))

Hi Steve,

You have provided some excellent advice below about simplicity.

Also, I have given some more thought to SWT, Conga and GUI building. Taking a note from java.sql.*, I believe the first design and requirement spec should result in an interface package, o.e.gui.*.

j.sql.* is a well-thought out java package because it allows for so many DB builders to implement around a common, robust, and sufficiently abstract design.

I propose as a first step that a working group design a common package which can be used by the Builder at Design time and by an App at Runtime. Then, implementations around SWT and various incarnations of SWT could be achieved behind the interface package as is done by DB vendors in implementing JDBC.

kindest,

-Lane

Steve_Northover@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Sorry Lane and all.  The SWT team is swamped right now chasing GP's and hangs in Eclipse 2.1.  The feature and code freeze is in two weeks.  I think the best thing you can do is get something running and make use of the Wiki and possibly the bugzilla report to exchange information.

Let me give you a quick word of advice, the S in SWT stands for two things: Simple and Small.  Any API you propose or mechanism you invent will need to be as light weight as possible, even if that means sacrificing truth and beauty.

Steve

--
Lane Sharman
http://opendoors.com Conga, GoodTimes and Application Hosting Services