Re: [platform-swt-dev] not true monospacing with eclipse on OSX

Hi,

I've noticed that on my Mac, (M4, OSX 10.2.3), I don't get true monospacing. I'm using monaco, and I noticed that if i type something like "finally" - the "f" and "i" get compressed into one character.. i believe that's a standard feature for certain text for readability, but its not something I'd want to happen in a text editor. This also happens with courier fonts.

I was also wondering if other people were seeing the same behavior.

Yes, and the closest related bug I've found are:
#28514: Character positions differ between selected and unselected text
#28831: Displays ligature for fi & fl
So I'd suggest to file another bug.

Also does anyone here think that the default font for the package explorer perspective is way too large? I really liked the size it was in M3 (and I like the font used on Windows' version of Eclipse even more.. its readable and doesn't take up too much space.) Even at 1280x1024, a medium length package name will be too long. I think an excellent font to use for this perspective would be the font that ProjectBuilder uses for it's file explorer. I can ask around for the specific font type/size.

The problem is, that Eclipse doesn't provide UI to change the font used for tree and tables but relies on the System's default font. The Mac's default font is quite large and there is no official UI in MacOS X to change that. This is the related bug:
#28739: Not possible to change Tree/Table fonts
In m3 I tweaked all fonts behind the scenes to get Eclipse good looking
(however, fixing that in SWT is against SWT principles, so the 'hacks' are no longer in).

--andre

Back to the top