From: platform-swt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:platform-swt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve_Northover@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 12:32 PM
To: platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SWT History and Design Decisions (WAS: [platform-swt-dev] AWT Toolkit using SWT (was: From Swing to SWT))

Lane and others, SWT is a direct interface to the operating system.  As stated on the SWT component page, our intent is to be as thin a layer as possible.  Thus, it is unlikely that we will be adding any low level support for GUI builders in the near future.  We consider functionality that does not directly correspond to anything the operating system provides to be suspect.

We believe that the right answer at this point is to use adapters.  If this turns out to be an unworkable strategy, we can look at it again.

Note: Through JSR 175, Sun seems to be reexamining the issue of meta data outside of Java Beans.  In the long term, this might be the direction.

Back to the top