RE: SWT History and Design Decisions (WAS: [platform-swt-dev] AWT Toolkit using SWT (was: From Swing to SWT))

-----Original Message-----
From: platform-swt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:platform-swt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bob Foster
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 5:29 PM
To: platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SWT History and Design Decisions (WAS: [platform-swt-dev] AWT Toolkit using SWT (was: From Swing to SWT))

So where's your GUI builder? (Or Scott's, for that matter? ;-)

On my desktop computer ;)  I'm closing in on a point where the code should start flowing quickly. I'm pretty confident that my design is what I want/need it to be, and the prototyping I've been doing seems to be backing that up. Hopefully I'll get to a point where I can get some beta testers soon, then some initial releases. BTW: I'm thinking of charging somewhere between $50-$100 USD for it. I want to keep it affordable, but still make a little $ off it...

I'm not seriously challenging that you could make one. I just want to look at the GUI builder that results.
<g>

The issue isn't whether you can make a GUI builder for SWT. You can make a GUI builder for any library...provided that you don't have to "round trip" (convert source/object code into the representation used internally by the GUI builder).

I know from previous discussion that Scott thinks this is not a requirement. I also know that many commercial GUI builders do allow round-tripping. Enough so that many would consider this a competitive requirement.

Nope -- the trick here is to make sure that people don't need to "tweak" the resulting code. It's all about making the separation of concerns easy.
"Round tripping" actually depends on interpretation:
  • Round tripping generated code
  • Round tripping the "persisted form" of the UI being designed
Because my builder will come with a persister that generates XML, that XML can be hand modified if folks want. However, the code generator I'll provide will ignore any "tweaks", overwriting them.
I'll have a couple code generators -- one that generates code similar to VisualAge for Java's style, and one that uses an XML runtime loader to build the UI. (I'll probably be working with Frank Sauer to set it up to use XMLTalk, possibly other frameworks.)

If someone *really* wants round-tripped code, it'll be completely possible for them to write a persister plugin for my builder that will read/write the code. Because I don't believe this is a good idea, I myself won't be doing it, but someone else could...

(Why don't I like "round tripping" code -- simple -- think about the maintenance programmer trying to find a bug. The last place he thinks to look for that one bad line of handwritten code is in the generated code...)

--Scott

Back to the top