Re: [platform-swt-dev] AWT Toolkit using SWT (was: From Swing to SWT)

(And I won't even begin to get into how IBM was a key player in the death of IFC and how that is a big part of the subsequent missteps. Although it may be noteworthy that the argument of why IFC and Bongo must die is that there mustn't be a fracturing of the community/products by having more than one GUI API.)

I see good reasons for healthy competition in the GUI market place as does Ford, GM et al compete on how they lay out dashboards, engines, etc. Every widget has two very distinct layers: its phyisical rendering and its logical state and behavior. What I would like to do is to bring the Builder knowledge in Conga (formerly Bongo) to bear on SWT so that SWT and Eclipse has a tool that can compete with MS Visual Studio. You can sit down with Studio and crank out an awesome presentation. Ditto for Conga. This is needed for Eclipse and to do this we must marry the logical state architecture of the widget set to the Builder and the runtime. Principally the base class and the interfaces which the base class implements must have editability built in. I should not have to care that the physical rendering of the widget is realized thru the underlying OS.

-Lane

Jim