Re: [platform-swt-dev] AWT Toolkit using SWT (was: From Swing to SWT)

Scott Stanchfield wrote:
IMHO, the "right" thing to do is to get people to realize that creating UIs
isn't that big of a deal. (And GUI builders help this a lot). One thing I'm
working on at work is a UI framework concept that provides an MVC/Command
patterned separation of UI and Business logic, so the UI is "pluggable".
Bongo, FreeBongo, and now Conga radically cuts the programming out of the GUI construction phase: the content designer is essentially drawing java objects without knowledge that he is manipulating a hierarchy of java instances.

Having a pluggable UI is really the key, here. In particular, if this is
done right, the UI could be SWT, AWT, Swing, JSP, or anything else for that
matter.

What this does is let you utilize whatever you need to make a particular
type of UI good. You can set up your JSP to create a good *html* interface,
and you can use SWT to create a good *GUI* interface, and not worry about
having to code the UI so that both work. Each is independent.

With good MVC/Command separation, the UI layer becomes quite thin, basically
a matter of "respond to user interaction by running a command".
UIs do not just generate action button commands. They render notifications, updates, test (if they can) for proper input patterns, repaint. A good GUI deals well with Z ordering of layers.  Double Buffering. Having worked with a GUI Builder for about seven years now, my hat is truly off to the original authors of Conga.

On a supportive note, I really appreciate this dialog. I am now of the opinion that some thought should given to an interface API for GUIs. This interface API would insulate the client applications, the Builder and most of the runtime from the underlying implementation classes. We have some good examples of this in j.sql.* which is mostly a set of interfaces which "providers" implement. However, this is really hard stuff to get right. It should not be tackled without some serious thought to who, how much time, what ultimate benefit, cost and ultimate return.

I have read again the principles of SWT: "efficient", "portable", and "access to the user-interface facilities of the operating  system".  I would like to add one more  "Builder  Enabling".  If  I could make some strategic  changes to the base class , there would be a foundation on which to create a Builder.

Just some thoughts.

-Lane

(As always, open to thoughts and comments...)
-- Scott

Scott Stanchfield
FGM, Inc.
scotts@xxxxxxx