[platform-swt-dev] AWT Toolkit using SWT (was: From Swing to SWT)

Brad O'Hearne wrote:
Lane,

I am sure you have already considered this (and hence the "hard to do"
conclusion), but it seems that the answer for both Swing and SWT is an
abstraction layer that wraps around both Swing and SWT.

Yes, that is correct. That abstraction layer and attendant factory class is called java.awt.Toolkit.

I believe the simplest and best answer to all this AWT-and-SWT interoperability jazz is to create an AWT Toolkit implementation using SWT.

I did some work on this while ago, but have not done anything on it for almost a year. If someone else wants to pick it up, I'm willing to provide some assistance. This is certainly a necessary and worthwhile project as it will get plenty of users and is essential (IMHO) for SWT to get standardized through JCP.

(I had meant to follow up with you Lane after your talk at the LAJUG last week but have been busy...)

Jim

Back to the top