Re: [platform-swt-dev] From Swing to SWT

Lane, please read the description of SWT at http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-swt-home/main.html.

Lane Sharman <lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

01/15/03 10:24 PM
Please respond to platform-swt-dev

        To:        platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [platform-swt-dev] From Swing to SWT

Michael,

I have been studying this problem for a while and do not see any clean
solution. The problem is that neither j.a.Component & Container, nor
o.e..swt.Widget and its descendants implement a meta data interface
which makes inspection of properties of a widget possible. Thus a
conversion tool or a Builder are hard to do for both Swing and SWT!

I have written a short expose on the subject of property and meta data
in a GUI and there is a JSR on this very topic.

http://opendoors.com/conga/2.2/docs/property/siframes.html
is a little presentation I wrote on the importance of the property
exchange pattern which allows two objects that have no prior knowledge
of one another to establish a protocol (aka Interface) to exchange
structured information. This is your case. You need a translator that
has a protocol map that can look at the dynamic state of your Swing app
(not the static code) and then use that property information to map to a
corresponding SWT tool.

I really wish I could tweak the base class of the SWT to make it a
little more GUI builder friendly along the lines of what I work with in
Conga.

Everytime I study the base class of SWT, I become more frustrated. For
example, it is very important that every widget have a local, relative
name. There is no setName(), getName(). There is no
setProperties(ProperyList), getProperties(PropertyList). Sigghhh.

-lane

--
Lane Sharman
http://opendoors.com Conga, GoodTimes and Application Hosting Services