RE: [platform-swt-dev] From Swing to SWT

Lane,

I am sure you have already considered this (and hence the "hard to do"
conclusion), but it seems that the answer for both Swing and SWT is an
abstraction layer that wraps around both Swing and SWT.  For example,
the problem with having no default constructors in SWT could possibly be
handled by a custom factory class.  The builder invokes the factory
class without parameters, and the factory class creates the actual
widget, using whichever constructor is appropriate.  This effectively
gives a parameterless interface to the builder, while allowing the
existing parameterized constructors to be used.  Likewise, it seems like
get/set property methods could also be a class wrapper around the actual
widget.  This is all probably a pain, yes, and alleviated by simply
changing the design of the widgets themselves, but it is a possible
answer.  I guess a nice side benefit is that your builder would be
completely agnostic to the underlying widget implementation -- the
interface is the same for AWT, Swing, SWT, or whatever new
implementation might come along.  Because the interface is a wrapper
around the widget library, there also is a separation between widget
implementation and builder needs, which for maintenance of the widget
library is probably a nice division of labor.  A simple set of classes
that demonstrate this follow:

e.g.

public class BuilderWidget {

  public BuilderWidget(o.e..swt.Widget w) {
    this.widget = w
  }

  private o.e..swt.Widget widget;

  public void setProperty(Object val) {
  }

  public void getProperty(String name) {
  }

}

public interface BuilderWidgetFactory {

  public BuilderWidget create(String widgetType);

}

public class SWTBuilderWidgetFactory implements BuilderWidgetFactory {

  public BuilderWidget create(String widgetType) {
    //create the new SWT widget w
    return new BuilderWidget(w);
  }

}

Have you done something like this already?  Just an idea...

BradO