[platform-swt-dev] A Builder for Eclipse

Greetings,

Bongo, before Eclipse, was the first "widget" oriented GUI builder for Java. My company, Open Doors Software, has lovingly guided this project to a product status, now named Conga. Conga is a rich builder, scripting, and widget set rolled into a single product for rapid skin development on a java desktop. It uses only the graphics engine provided within the basic Java runtime. In that sense, it is a cousin of SWT. It makes no use of Swing or AWT components.

Conga might have a contribution to make to SWT. Fundamentally, its secret sauce is its builder which allows a graphics designer to visually lay out a UI without code generation and according to a WYSIWIG layout pattern or some other layout pattern. Conga's real asset is its Builder. Presentations are loaded/saved as optimized, reuseable, persistent streams. Its widget set, like SWT, is extensible.

I will spare you the details at this point as to why creating a Builder for SWT would be a really difficult job for me and perhaps it is already done or being done.
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget
This class is not "Builder-Friendly" to my pattern for creating a Builder. In other words, I need more builder-support in this base class.

So, my question is this: is o.e.s.w.Widget frozen? Can its method signatures, interfaces implemented, and other behaviors be modified?

I would really like to see Eclipse succeed and to see Eclipse have a great GUI builder. Perhaps there is one already ... but I did not see it.

regards,

Lane Sharman
http://opendoors.com

Back to the top