Re: [platform-swt-dev] Combo on GTK crashes eclipse.

It's probably on 2.0.  You need to verify that the behavior is consistent
in HEAD or enter a PR.
Combo has changed lots on GTK since 2.0.

                      "Grant Gayed"
                      <Grant_Gayed@xxxxxxx>           To:      platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-swt-dev-admin@         Subject: Re: [platform-swt-dev] Combo on GTK crashes eclipse.
                      eclipse.org

                      11/01/02 10:32 AM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-swt-dev

There's something strange here.  Looking at Combo as it currently exists in
HEAD, I don't see how this stack trace is possible since the error is
occurring in Combo.setItems(), which is invoked by Combo.add(), which can
never pass null as an argument.  I've verified that both motif and gtk
handle null arguments to Combo.add() properly.  Is Combo being subclassed?
There's definitely more info/context required in order to determine what's
happening.

Grant

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "Steve Northover"      |
|         |           <Steve_Northover@xxxxxx|
|         |           m>                     |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           platform-swt-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           11/01/2002 08:26 AM    |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           platform-swt-dev       |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |        To:      platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |        cc:      platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |        Subject: Re: [platform-swt-dev] Combo on GTK crashes eclipse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Don't call it with null.  As indicated by the exception, this isn't valid.
More interesting is your claim that it works on Motif.  Grant?

                      Amit Rana

                      <amitrana77@xxxxxxxxx>          To:
platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                        cc:

                      platform-swt-dev-admin@         Subject:
[platform-swt-dev] Combo on GTK crashes eclipse.

                      eclipse.org

                      11/01/02 02:14 AM

                      Please respond to

                      platform-swt-dev

Hi,

 I am developing a plugin for eclipse which enables distributed pair
programming (http://sangam.sourceforge.net)

 In our preference page I have made a customised ComboFieldEditor which is
very similar to org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.ComboFieldEditor

 My class provides an Editable combo and saves all the items in the combo
to the preference store. The code which adds items to the combo crashes
eclipse (on GTK) giving the following stack trace. The same code works
without any problem on "Motif"

org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: Argument cannot be null

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.error(Widget.java:290)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Combo.setItems(Combo.java:996)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Combo.add(Combo.java:168)

at org.sangam....

this is followed by the message suggesting to close the workspace

Has anyone else faced similar problem? pointer to any resource that could
help me find the problem will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Amit Rana.

Yahoo! - We Remember