Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT on 64-bit platforms

Steve> Only SWT is sensitive to 64-bits.

Thanks!

Steve> I forgot about the mapping table option.  We had already
Steve> thought of that but it seemed really hacky and there is no way
Steve> to garbage collect the table.

My thinking was that you wouldn't need to GC the table, since you
already have to explicitly delete any Gtk object for which you have a
handle.

My current understanding is that any `int' representing an underlying
C pointer is basically using the C allocation model of explicit
freeing by the programmer.  However, I can't claim enough familiarity
with SWT to be certain.  Are there cases where the `int' values can be
"GC'd" (forgotten, I suppose) without a resulting memory leak?

Anyway, the situation is more complex than I first had hoped.  For
instance the `sizeof' fields in places like class GdkColor need to be
audited for 64-bit cleanliness (this particular one appears to be
fine, but I didn't check any others).

Steve> The error message was the very cryptic "LA Table overflow".

Clearly this must be preserved if this approach is implemented :-)

Today I did a few random greps and code readings to try to orient
myself a bit.  I'll do more tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help and insight.

Tom

Back to the top