[platform-swt-dev] RE: MacOS X Poll: Continue support for 10.1.5

+1 for dumping OS X.1

Jaguar is 'it' now, and it's not like Eclipse was ever at 'version 1' on
10.1.5 for there to be some moral obligation to support it for a while.
I think every opportunity to make the Eclipse port better and faster should
be grasped!

Lwe

> Hi,
> Since 08/24 MacOS X 10.2 (aka "Jaguar") is generally available.
> I'm using Jaguar for almost 8 weeks now and I'm impressed by the
> speed improvements (especially for Java), and overall robustness.
>
> Recently I started to use APIs in the MacOS X port of SWT that are
> only available in Jaguar.
> These APIs make porting of SWT much easier.
>
> New Jaguar functionality that I can leverage:
>
> - a new view system ("HIViews") that is much closer to SWT than the
> old ControlManager.
>    I could get rid of ugly and slow emulation code.
>
> - a Carbon ComboBox (and I hope a Toolbar and a ScrollView),
>
> - support for calling Cocoa from Carbon (e.g. for leveraging the
> Cocoa Font Chooser),
>
> And there is probably more...
>
> I tried to find a way to support both 10.2 and 10.1.5 with a single
> swt.jar and two dlls.
> But it was just a pain: it made the code ugly and it slowed
> development down considerably (partially because I always had to
> reboot into the other OS...).
>
> So here is my question:
>
> I would like to drop support for 10.1.5 in all future drops of the
> MacOS X port of SWT.
>
> Is this OK for you?
>
> --andre

Back to the top