re: [platform-swt-dev] Eclipse on OS X 10.2 Developer Preview

OK, I have 6C115 installed so more than ever I'm wondering whether I can get
Eclipse going on 10.2.
I guess I should be patient and wait, but curiosity is getting the better of
me...  how's the 10.2 compatible Eclipse coming along?  ;-)

>>Hi,
>>
>>I recently saw Eclipse F1 running (using the term lightly) on OS X
>>10.2 developer preview, and the UI was completely smashed against
>>the top of the window rendering it totally unusable.  You can not
>>even see the edit pane.  I'm not sure if this is a bug in OS X 10.2
>>or not, but other apps seem NOT to be affected with similar issues,
>>and the same executable does not show this behavior in OS X 10.1.5.

>I found the (trivial) problem:
>
>Since 1984 the Control Manager has the following problem: hit
>detection and drawing of child controls are performed in the same
>order (which is wrong). This is not a problem as long as child
>controls are not overlapping. However in Eclipse controls are
>overlapping, so sometimes you could not select a control that seems
>to be visible.  As a workaround I've reversed the insertion order of
>controls that were added to a composite control.
>
>In Jaguar Apple introduced the HIView. This is a good thing because
>after almost 20 years the Mac toolbox (aka Carbon) gets a real 'view
>system' with 'normal' hit detection and drawing semantics (and other
>good stuff). However for this Apple had to reverse the insertion
>order. As a consequence all layouts in Eclipse are backwards on
>Jaguar.
>
>My next drop will have a fix for this.
>
>--andre

Back to the top