Re: [platform-swt-dev] Compiling SWT and Eclipse on Solaris x86?

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:20:08AM -0400, Grant Gayed wrote:
> The steps for building swt binaries for configurations that we don't
> distribute, such as Solaris x86,  can be found at
> http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-swt-home/SWT-Howto.html

IMHO, this is too much "do it by hand". There should be some solid
makefiles (and possibly shellscripts/batch files) that do all the work.

Indeed, the whole building process of eclipse may need a little redesign:

- shared libraries / dlls in a source distribution or a repository are evil, so
  they should be removed (or moved into optional cvs modules / zip files).
- C sources are distributed in ws specific diretories and in the "common"
  directory, wich requires handish copying of files or using VPATH magic for
  make.
- the supplied makefiles (make_*.mak) contain lots of hardcoded paths. I don't
  vote for bloated autoconf magic, but a little more flexibility would be nice.

Additionally, the build.xml files for ant should be changed to fail on
compilation errors.

Ciao,
	Kili

--