[platform-swt-dev] speeding up Eclipse on OS/X (Jikes or...?)

I am running Eclipse successfully (thanks to this list)
on OS/X on an iBook (600MHz G3)
and it is extremely slow --
the rename refactoring takes over 90 seconds to complete
and a full recompile of my project (about 200 fairly small Java files)
takes over two minutes...

On "similar" windows machines, it takes less than 15 seconds to build
the whole thing!

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to speed it up.
Is there a way to for example use Jikes as the compiler?  I looked through
the various panels but saw none.

Any ideas of the whys and wherefores on this?  I do a lot of Mac Java
programming and while there are some issues with the speed of image
manipulation, the rest of it seems pretty efficient...?!

      /t
--

http://loopNY.com ......................An "open loop": shows every Saturday!
http://whatGoes.com/submit .......................... submit to the calendar.