Re: [platform-swt-dev] REVERSE?

I've been looking at MacUtil. I think I understand what REVERSE *does*, but I don't understand the circumstances which led to its creation. Andre, can you say some words about this?

I had to find out the hard way that in Carbon drawing of child widgets of a Composite and hit detection are performed in the same order. (Normaly drawing is performed back-to-front and hit detection front-to-back). A consequence of this is that if you have overlapping widgets hit detection finds widgets that are not visible because they are occluded by other widgets. Since I cannot change the drawing order easily, I decide to reverse the insertion order.
The REVERSE option control this behavior.

(This behavior exists in the toolbox since 1985). It was not considered a problem if widgets don't overlap (as it is the case in dialog boxes). However Eclipse uses overlapping widgets and I had to deal with it. In Jaguar this problem (and lots of other problems) should go away with the introduction of the HIView (I hope).

--andre

Back to the top