[platform-swt-dev] Building SWT outside of Eclipse...

I've been trying to figure out how to build SWT from source (both
.java and .c) from the CVS without having eclipse installed. From the
instructions I've been able to find, I need to get into the "bin"
directory and run the library/build.csh (I'm building on linux, though
I would also like to be able to do an OS/X build). From what I can
tell the Eclipse build process builds the "bin" directory itself, and
in order to build the libarary, rather than doing this from the ant
using the included build.xml.

What I gather is that the eclipse build process knows something about
my system, and creates the bin/library directory and populates it
based on that (it appears to know to copy certain files and compile
certain files).

I've so far been able to build swt.jar and swt-pi.jar (just the Java
side of SWT) for gtk by checking out org.eclipse.swt.gtk and running
ant in there. I have also been able to build the *.so for linux/gtk by
doing this:

cd org.eclipse.swt
mkdir bin/library
cp ../../Eclipse\ SWT/common/library/*.* .
cp ../../Eclipse\ SWT\ PI/gtk/library/*.* .
make -f make_gtk.mak IVE_HOME=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.3 JAVA_JNI="/usr/lib/j2sdk1.3/include -I/usr/lib/j2sdk1.3/include/linux"

apparently, the extra make options are required because my jdk is:
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS, mixed mode)

This seems a little complex (though not terribly so) for people that
would like to use swt on its own. It would be nice if there were a way
to do something similar to:

configure --java-home=$JAVA_HOME --prefix=/usr/local; make; make install

of SWT, and have this work. Is this functionality there and I just
missed it?

I have yet to figure out how to do something equivalent for the OS/X
port (though I haven't tried very hard, I'm trying to help an OS/X
friend through the process).

Thanks for your time,
mike

--
You shall judge of a man by his foes as well as by his friends.
		-- Joseph Conrad

Michael R. Head
burner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
gpg: http://group.cs.brandeis.edu/~burner/gpg.key.txt