RE: [platform-swt-dev] Scrollbar doesn't allow negative values.

... I expect the answer to be of the form: "Platform XYZ does not support it
natively."

Since you're planning on using a scrollbar, I assume the region to be
scrolled is of a finite size.  Why not just add an offset?  Think of
setMinimumValue() as a convenience method that unfortunately does not apply
to your scenario.