Re: Re: [platform-swt-dev] Some questions for the SWT developers

Hello Patrick!

>From: "Patrick Mueller" <pmuellr@xxxxxxx>
>Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:48:01 -0400
>
>addNotify / removeNotify are messages sent to AWT Components (and thus
Swing
>Components) to indicate when the o/s resource for the component is actually
>created/destroyed.  SWT doesn't need this, because it's Widgets are created
>in the constructor, and destroyed in dispose().  You know when you're
>calling the constructor, and there is a proper event for disposal so that
>you don't have to override a widget to get this info.
>
>In theory, AWT provides a more flexible architecture, where you can change
>the parent of a widget whenever you want.  In practice, this is almost
never
>used, it greatly complicates the actual implementation of the code (the AWT
>code).

Well, in practice I'm using "what is almost never used", because my
inherited Swing widgets are still beans with all its advantages. I don't think it is
a practical way to enhance a widget by bloating it's constructor. You may be
right that implementing a toolkit by using constructor parameters is easier
but I find it very restricting and inflexible to use this toolkit or inherit
from it.

Thank you for your answer,
Dr. Seltsam

http://www.gmx.net