Re: [platform-swt-dev] Problem with Shell._setSize()

Steve_Northover@xxxxxxx writes:
> Are you telling me that gdk_window_get_frame_extents() is broken
> and that I should attempt a flavour of our Motif hack on GTK?  What does
> gdk_window_get_frame_extents() do?

It walks up the window hierarchy and finds the frame and gets its
extents, I think the same hack you described.

> Not true ... the VA/Smalltalk widget toolkit CommonWidgets uses Motif API
> and was written first on X and then ported to Windows.  This is the
> toolkit on
> which SWT is based.  Smalltalk users liked the functionality but found the
> Motif API unpleasant.

So that just means you made it broken on purpose. ;-)

We also added gdk_window_get_frame_extents() on purpose knowing it was
broken. Aren't we all evil?

I've considered adding something to the WM spec at
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/ that would let us solve this
problem without being broken, but I haven't really thought of a good
approach.

> Not exactly sure what you're getting at here.  Not knowing the size of the
> trimmings means that you cannot position a shell ... but apps need to do
> this to implement things like fancy hover help, code assist etc.

I wouldn't expect tooltips and code assist popups to have frames, I'd
expect them to be override redirect windows.

> So, we take API seriously.  This time round, shell extent thing works like
> Windows because that's what people expect, it's reasonable and it is
> possible to implement on X with a small (but gross) hack.

I don't really agree that the hack is harmless (or that the shell
extent API is a good one), but it's of course too late to matter. ;-)

Havoc

Back to the top