[platform-swt-dev] subclassing

Hello!

I'm programming at moment a prototype in SWT.

So far it works well. But I was wondering, why most every widget can't be
subclassed,
although they are not declared final. Is this because of a strict mapping
between the java classes and
the native classes? And will this change in future? (What I hope)
When programming a class, the name's a little confusing: MyShell is not a
Shell, it's more something like MyShellWrapper or MyShellController.

In AWT/Swing I normaly extend a Component and add some fields to reference
to other objects (like model, beans, ...). With SWT this is not possible. But
I found some methods in the Widget class: getData() and setData().  Are this
methods the workaround for the lack of subclassing?

Regards
Alessandro

http://www.gmx.net

Back to the top