Re: [platform-swt-dev] GTK in CVS

Steve_Northover@xxxxxxx writes:
> Can't just change things to long and cast because int's also need to wrap
> and overflow and match exactly what is going on in the OS.

I don't understand that really - why would you wrap or overflow a
pointer? If you do this in C:

 GtkWidget *w;
 long i;

 w = gtk_button_new ();
 i = (long) w;
 i += 57;
 w = (GtkWidget*) i;

Then you have worse problems than possible overflow. ;-) i.e. these
values should never be modified, except for assignment. Arithmetic ops
are right out.

>  As you know, it's always fastest to use the machine word size which
> is 32-bit on most machines today.  It'd be 2 pushes instead of one.

I'm sure there's a performance difference here, but I'd be surprised
if it's enough to matter. I could be wrong.

In any case, "too slow" can't really outweigh "does not work," in my
mind.

It probably makes sense to ignore the issue until GTK 2 and java-gnome
are sorted out, and maybe until someone is actually trying an IA-64
port, since the "int" stuff is all buried underneath SWT rather than
in the API anyhow.

Havoc

Back to the top