Re: [platform-swt-dev] GTK List is done

>I didn't realize SWT used native list/tree

Part of SWT's design philosophy is to use the native widgets wherever possible unless it is prohibitive to do so (and emulate where they can't).

David
--
David Whiteman
OTI Raleigh

Havoc Pennington <hp@xxxxxxxxxx>

12/08/2001 02:41 PM
Please respond to platform-swt-dev

        To:        platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [platform-swt-dev] GTK List is done

Steve_Northover@xxxxxxx writes:
> Ok, I've gone through GTK List and it's looking good.  There is an
> outstanding problem
> in List.setTopIndex() and List.showSelection() that I belive is a bug in
> GTK.  It seems that
> gtk_clist_moveto() doesn't like to be called before the top level shell is
> opened.

Yes, that's the case.  I think what people usually do is add a hack to
save what you want to move to, and move when you come onscreen, for
example. We've been encouraging a workaround here since GTK 1.2.x is
in the "don't touch it in ways that might break things" phase of its
lifecycle.

I didn't realize SWT used native list/tree - this is another painful
aspect from the 1.2/2.0 angle, since GtkTreeView is much superior from
both an API and UI standpoint to GtkCList/CTree. CList/CTree are still
in 2.0 (and likely 2.2 and 2.4 as well), but they are discouraged for
use in new code.

Havoc