Re: [platform-swt-dev] Mac port: Status Update

Maurice,

I do not know if this will help you at all, but have you seen that Apple
recently updated all of their documentation that is on ADC?  Supposedly, it
is much more complete that it has been in the past.

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/CocoaTopics.html

They also issued a new release of the Developer Tools.

Based on what you have done so far, do you think it would be at all
feasible to do the port in Cocoa using Objective-C instead of Java, or
would it have the same problems you have been facing?  In other words, are
the complications in Cocoa itself, or in the Javabridge Apple has provided
for Cocoa?

Mark

                    Maurice Parker
                    <maurice@vineyardenterpr       To:     <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                    ise.com>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                       Subject:     [platform-swt-dev] Mac port: Status Update
                    platform-swt-dev-admin@e
                    clipse.org

                    12/07/01 09:23 AM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-swt-dev

Hey,

I didn't have any luck finding out what the problem with using Cocoa's
Notification Center from Java was.  At this point I am assuming it is a bug
in the JavaBridge most likely attributed to the use of NSSelector (a
reflection like mechanism).

I know how to work around this bug, but I'm not really sure that I should
try at this point.  I've posted to the cocoa-dev list twice reporting
problems with using the JavaBridge and haven't yet received a reply back
from an Apple employee.  Once I even cc'd an Apple employee who directly
involved in a thread on the JavaBridge and I still didn't receive back a
response.

Since I can't get anyone at Apple directly engaged in conversation the only
thing I can do is try to read between the lines.  It looks to me like the
JavaBridge is only lightly supported (if at all) and that development and
debugging of it is a low priority at Apple.  Since I am unaware of any
large
commercial vendors using the JavaBridge, I doubt that Apple has any
incentive to improve the quality of the JavaBridge.

I think that it's time to try to bring a Carbon port up to the same level
that I brought the Cocoa port to so that we can how the two approaches
compare with each other.  I'll try to get a start on it this weekend, but
if
anyone has begun already, then post back to the list so that I'm not
duplicating any effort.

-Maurice