Re: [platform-swt-dev] GTK in CVS

> Steve_Northover@xxxxxxx writes:
>> - positioning widgets such that they do not move when the parent is
>> resized (we are using a fixed + hacks)
>>
>> - everything to do with redraw, damaged areas, forcing paints, etc.

> Things don't quite compile for me here yet, so I can't look at the
> actual problems - glancing through the code, a "mismatch" between the
> way GTK wants to do things and the way SWT wants to do things is that
> you're expecting certain things to be synchronous (resulting in calls
> go gtk_widget_show_now(), forced gtk_widget_realize(), the size
> request/allocation process, and so on), while GTK wants those things
> to happen "lazily" in an idle handler. I would expect to have a lot of
> problems with flicker/jumping, and plain old inefficiency, unless
> we're careful about how this is set up.

Not necessarily.  X/Motif is asynchronous and SWT runs there.  We don't realize on Motif until
the shell is shown or we are force to do so to either work around a bug or implement an API that
needs to reach through to get X resources.  I am planning to take the same approach for GTK.

BTW: g_log is great.  We've already used it to hunt down a missing "ref".

Steve

Back to the top