[platform-swt-dev] GTK in CVS

The source for the GTK port of SWT is now in CVS.  Finally!

Everyone who cares, please look at it.  It's working well enough to run the SWT examples correctly, but doesn't currently run Eclipse (some GPs, GTK warnings in console, some bogus u/i artifacts) but the windows do come up and it limps. We are actively looking at the big problems. We aren't going to make GTK builds of Eclipse (i.e. drops) until these problems are addressed.

re GTK Warnings:
We're having trouble tracking these down.  I can't find the GTK equivalent of the X/Xt error hander (to track exactly when they happen) and I can't create a simple example that causes them. We're only seeing them when running Eclipse. Havoc, any ideas?

So. The best description of the current state is: w.r.t. the widgets, there is a rough implementation of 98% of the API, but it hasn't been reviewed (in terms of driving GTK and how well it implements the SWT spec'ed behavior). We *have* checked the code in Button, Label, ProgressBar, Scale, Slider, Display/Device, and to a lesser extent Text and Sash, and consider these to be close. The idea is to just go through the remaining ones 1 by 1, once the GPs are gone.

Boris will have to comment on the status of the graphics side. He's also got some release notes about other areas of missing functionality.

Areas where we could use input from the GTK community:

- positioning widgets such that they do not move when the parent is resized (we are using a fixed + hacks)

- everything to do with redraw, damaged areas, forcing paints, etc.

- making Display.sleep() work properly

- ... more things will occur to me.

Steve

Back to the top