Re: [platform-swt-dev] Mac port: HelloWorld3

Mike,

On 12/3/01 8:56 AM, "Mike Wilson/OTT/OTI" <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. How do you keep the widgets from painting on top of each other? (tell me
> this has been fixed in OS X!)

I doubt that this problem exists in OS X as they would have had to port it
from the Classic Mac OS.  In OS X everything from the top level API's
(Carbon and Cocoa) down is either new or is from NextSTEP.  For more on how
Mac OS X is built here are some references:

Glossy brochure:
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/architecture/index.html

Developer docs:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/devessentials.html

I strongly recommend at least the first two sections of "Inside Mac OS X:
System Overview".

> 2. How do you manage the menu bar?

In Cocoa you would create NSMenu and NSMenuItem objects and manage them
using NSApplication.

> When you talk
> about the "main application menu" do mean a menu with commands which aren't
> included in each shell's menu?

Yes.  On Mac OS X there is a new menu that sits between the Apple icon in
the upper left hand corner and the first shell menu (typically "File").
This is application specific and includes the "Services" submenu, "Quit",
"Hide", "About", etc...

-Maurice

Back to the top