Re: [platform-swt-dev] gtk port

Havoc,

Well, we have some tools here at OTI which produce the ZIP files that you
see on the download pages automatically. I don't know in what state
they are, and I don't know if they're in the repository (i.e. if they're
open
source). They're command-line driven, and I'm sure they could be
modified to output .RPMs (your favourite) or .DEBs (my favourite). :-)

[By the way, as you've noticed the GTK+ port isn't currently in the
open source repository. Stay tuned and someone more knowledgable
and powerful than I will inform you further].

Actually, if you look at the "windows" install and the "linux" (motif)
install
files (ZIP and tarball, respectively), you'll notice that the only
difference
effectively is the eclipse executable. On X, this is independent of a
widget
toolkit, it's just a top-level shell and a pixmap. In particular, I think
that
all versions of swt (win32, motif, photon) are included in each drop, and
the selection of which one to use at runtime is determined by the -ws
and -os parameters. A proper GTK build would just add the directory
org.eclipse.swt\ws\gtk to the build, which would contain the shared
library for the JNI + the jar file and source file for the SWT
implementation.
You would pass "-ws gtk" on the command line and away you go.

The idea of building linux packages in a form other than .tar.gz is
interesting, because the current usage model is that the eclipse/ contents
is personal, i.e. I unzip eclipse in my home directory and away I go. That
doesn't mean is HAS to be, since obviously the workbench and plugins
can be in some root-accessible place as long as my workspace is
in my home directory. All I mean is that I'm not what the current story
is for the distribution of a system-wide eclipse for common use. In that
scenario, where do the plugins go that I want to use myself? Does
root have to install them for me? But this is for someone else to worry
about...

But as you say, I wouldn't worry about the build issues for now. As far
as I know it would be trivial for us to start producing builds including
GTK+ when the code becomes available, and such builds are not
necessary for normal coding and development.

Hope this helps,

james

Havoc Pennington <hp@xxxxxxxxxx>
11/14/2001 05:23 PM