Re: [platform-swt-dev] Mac OS X Port

SWT does *NOT* interface to MFC.
We call directly through JNI to the win32 API.
We do not need or want the MFC layer, so we don't even go near it.

Before you decide whether to go with Java-Cocoa or JNI-to-Objective-C-Cocoa (if that's even possible),
I think you need to be absolutely certain that you don't care about all the older Macs out there,
because Cocoa won't work with older versions of the Mac OS.

The more I read about Cocoa (not just Java-Cocoa, any Cocoa), the more it looks like an SWT peer to me (where peer == "same level", not "AWT peer").
As such, it is probably going to be difficult to port SWT to, because of event loop issues and other random problems that come up when you try to port on top of something that is really at the same level as you, and has already solved all of the same problems that you solved, possibly in different ways.
(It would sure be more natural to port SWT to Carbon... but then, of course, you don't get Aqua...)
Cocoa is also beginning to smell a lot like Swing, if you don't mind me saying, because it's got that model-view-controller thing going on...

As for contacting Apple, go for it! (And good luck to you <g>). But try to sell them on the whole SWT/Eclipse thing, don't just get them to write a binding.

Carolyn

Randi Joseph <randi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

11/13/01 11:32 PM
Please respond to platform-swt-dev