Re: [platform-swt-dev] Mac OS X Port

On 11/12/01 12:05 PM, "David Whiteman/RAL/OTI" <David_Whiteman@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> I don't think that a org.eclipse.swt.internal package at all.  Apple has

I meant to say, "I don't think that a org.eclipse.swt.internal package is
needed at all".

> done all that for us in com.apple.cocoa.application &
> com.apple.cocoa.foundation.  Since all of Cocoa is available to us as Java
> classes, no native code needs to be written.
>
> However, an advantage to implementing an "internal" package is that you could
> isolate your SWT port from whatever implementation you used.  Therefore, if
> you decided to switch from Cocoa to some other approach, your SWT widget
> classes shouldn't be affected.  Of course, I'm not part of the SWT development
> team, so don't take my thoughts here as gospel. <g>

A change to another framework other than Cocoa (say Carbon) on OS X would be
analogous to switching from Motif to GTK on Linux.  It would probably
require a whole new subproject and a full set of new SWT classes anyway.

-Maurice

Back to the top