[platform-search-dev] Fw: [eclipse-dev] Eclipse project committer changes

----- Forwarded by Daniel Megert/Zurich/IBM on 11.11.2010 09:19 -----
|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                                          |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, cross-project-issues-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                     |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |10.11.2010 23:03                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |[eclipse-dev] Eclipse project committer changes                                                                                                   |

Eclipse Project Committers: PLEASE READ! Your commit rights may be affected
if you do not act on this message.

For historical reasons, the Eclipse project has a complex set of Unix
permission groups controlling access to its source code. Many of these
groups do not correspond to active component areas, making committer
elections and access management unnecessarily complex for both Eclipse
project committers and Foundation staff. We are seeking to rectify this
situation by creating a normalized Unix group structure that maps directly
to each of our projects and sub-projects. At the same time, we are taking
the opportunity to clear out committers who have been inactive for extended
periods. Essentially, we are only planning to add active committers into
the newly created Unix groups that will control write access to our source
repository.

If you are currently a committer on the Eclipse project
(Platform,JDT,PDE,e4), please review the listing at [1] of proposed
associations between committer IDs and groups. The mapping from Unix groups
to projects in our repository can be found at [2]. No committer who is
active or interested in remaining active should lose commit access to any
source code they currently have write access to. If you believe this has
occurred, please reply to this note on the eclipse-dev mailing list so it
can be corrected. Note that some committers may gain write access to source
code they previously didn't have access to as part of this change. Those
committers are expected to maintain their usual discretion and avoid
modifying code without first discussing with active committers in that
area.

Apologies if you receive this note multiple times. Changing or removing
commit rights is a process we do not take likely, and we are using every
possible channel to make sure committers are made aware of the change.
Component leads are encouraged to forward this note to their component
mailing lists to ensure all committers are reached.

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/PMC/Unix_Groups/New_ACLS_By_Committer
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/PMC/Unix_Groups/New_ACLS_By_Project