  From:       Steffen Ryll <steffen.ryll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  To:         platform-search-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx)

  Cc:         Oleksandr Panchenko <panchenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Date:       11.06.2008 17:40

  Subject:    [platform-search-dev] Creating potential matches with new search UI

Hi all,

I'm currently involved in a project where our plugin embeds a custom
search engine into Eclipse. These days we discovered the colour setting
for potential matches (configurable on the Search preference Page).

The question we could not find any response to yet is, how can we create
such potential matches programmatically?

We are using NewSearchUI so far, which also has a method
arePotentialMatchesIgnored(). However, we could not find a facility to
create such potential match markers. SearchUI contains a constants
hinting at that, but we are not sure how that shall be used. And, could
we mix SearchUI and NewSearchUI functionality?!? I guess not...

A few words about the intention of our project:
For searching source code, we use an index (improve speed). We want to
enrich Java code with include additional information, such as Javadoc
texts belonging to a called method. Hence, we might find a hit that is
not literally included in source code, but virtually belongs to it. We
would like to indicate such hits as potential matches with a different
colour.

I would be happy if someone on this list could provide some hints or
pointers to helpful info.

Thanks in advance,
Steffen