[platform-search-dev] Re: [jdt-ui-dev] commands (2. attempt to get it onto the mailing lists of all effected components)

Done for Search and JDT Search. The new search category is:
            <category
                  name="%searchCategory.name"
                  description="%searchCategory.description"
                  id="org.eclipse.search.ui.category.search"
            />

Note: I followed Kai's pattern i.e. explicitly declared the emacs key
bindings because as a user I would not expect side effects in emacs key
bindings when changing the standard key bindings. Using the key binding
preference UI is not obvious for the user that the two configurations
(standard and emacs) are connected

Dani

             Kai-Uwe
             Maetzel/Zurich/IB
             M@IBMCH                                                    To
             Sent by:                  jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
             jdt-ui-dev-admin@         platform-search-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
             eclipse.org               platform-compare-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                        cc

             03/13/2003 06:38                                      Subject
             PM                        [jdt-ui-dev] commands (2. attempt
                                       to get it onto the mailing lists of
                                       all effected components)
             Please respond to
             jdt-ui-dev@eclips
                   e.org

I released the first steps of adopting the new commands extension point
moving away from the actionDefinitions and accelerator* extension points.
This is necessary in order to achieve a proper categorization scheme for
commands on the key bindings preference page (see #34056). The
categorization of commands goes along the lines of our menu structure,
i.e., File, Edit, Source, Navigate, .... In the Platform we additionally
define a "Text Editing" category that comprises all editing commands that
are not represented in the menu such as Delete Next/Previous Word, Select
to End of Line, etc.

For Platform Text, the actions are migrated. At the JDT UI level I migrated
all actions of the categories Edit, Text Editing, and Source. Missing are
the refactoring, search, and compare actions. For refactoring, I defined a
Refactoring category. The Search and Compare categories should be defined
in the according platform plug-ins. Those plug-ins should migrate as well.

In the JDT UI plugin.xml I grouped the command definition together with the
key binding definition to ensure that we explicitly define the accelerators
for the default and the emacs configuration. So far, we have not been
consistent.

While migrating to the commands extension point we also assign scopes to
the key bindings (see #32087). The platform defines the scopes "Global" and
"Text Editor", whereby the "Text Editor" scope is derived from "Global".
The Text Editor scope is active in the Default Text Editor and any editor
based on a subclass of TextEditor that does not explicitly set its own
scope. JDT UI extends the "Text Editor" scope to the "Java Editor" scope.
The "Java Editor" scope is active in the Compilation Unit Editor and the
Class File Editor. Actions should be scoped to "Java Editor" or "Text
Editor" if they are available only in a Java editor or the Default Text
Editor, respectively. As soon as actions are available in other parts they
should be scoped as "Global". Please be careful when assigning scopes to
avoid non-working accelerators.

Please migrate the actions you own to the new scheme. We should be done
with the Sunday night build in order to have enough time left to solve
related issues.
Thanks, Kai

Back to the top