[platform-releng-dev] Ready for chaos and turmoil? Tuesday morning?

I think we are ready to "split streams" and begin to (try) to build 4.7 and 4.6.1.

The main things that have to be coordinated is that all components (repositories) must create a branch from the R4_6 tag named R4_6_maintenance
AND THEN
most or all parent pom references updated. (All references to the main eclipse-parent pom do *have* to be updated, but some repos have their own "internal" parents, such as all tests bundles point to a test-parent, and the test-parent points to the eclipse-parent-pom.  Technically the version of test-parent might not need to be updated right away, but usually is easier and probably "more correct" to go ahead and bump its version too).

The parent pom in R4_6_maintenance will change to "4.6.1" and the parent pom in master will change to "4.7". In my experience a good "global" find and replace can be made to work to update these, but I also know in the past some people have ran and XSL script or similar to to it more precisely. I looked for such a script and couldn't find it, but it might be in some old bug, or something.

I propose we start Tuesday morning (any time zone) and ideally finish Tuesday evening (Eastern time) for a Tuesday night N-build (and I-builds and M-builds to follow as soon as possible).

Once we start, then no builds will be possible (production or Gerrit) until we all finish.

If anyone knows of a reason this timing will not work then please comment in Bug 496465.