Von: platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von David M Williams
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 23. Juni 2016 14:24
An: Eclipse platform release engineering list.
Betreff: Re: [platform-releng-dev] org.eclipse.platform vs.org.eclipse.platform.ide

> So my questions are:
> ·         Why the integration flag ?

We just keep doing "I-builds" until we are satisfied with one, and then "rename" it. And, you can not rename anything in the bundles, features or "versions" -- just the "outer" names of where things are collected as zip files, and similar.
So, yes, the "I" is expected. (In September, you will you will see the maintenance builds will be "M").
Why not do "one more build" and change everything to an "R"? Two reasons: a) something beyond our control could go wrong if depending on a "final build" so why bother, and b) We are often not sure if really is the final build until quite some time after we produce the build -- by which time others have already been "building with" the build with the "I" qualifiers. Case in point, we did an "RC4a" build this season, but "internally" it is just a small change to I-qualifiers. Otherwise we'd need a "big change" to have an additional "R-build".

> ·         What’s the difference between the two IUs:
> org.ecplise.platform and org.eclipse.platform.ide ?

> o   Can I safely continue to use org.ecplise.platform instead of
> org.ecplise.platform.ide ?

org.eclipse.platform is the one you want. It is a "feature" which you can use to create your own "product" (product in the Eclipse sense). org.eclipse.platform.ide is a "product" and usually not the thing you want to "include".

HTH