[platform-releng-dev] Reminders related to the upcoming M7 deliverables and dates

In about 10 days, M7 development comes to an end and M7 stabilization begins. 4/25, specifically, with our milestone deliverables due 4/29.

I have updated the build schedule accordingly. [https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/platform-releng/buildSchedule.html]

Remember that "stabilization week" means "code freeze" (except for regression fixes). See Eclipse/Rhythm#Milestones[https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/Rhythm#Milestones].
I have recently updated parts of that Rhythm document so it is a more up-to-date, though more work is needed, the principles are the same.

As always, stabilization week begins with the Sunday night 8 PM build (all N-builds are turned off). Then two I-builds a day until Wednesday 8 PM build.
Tuesday is set aside as the "all teams, all day" test day, New and Noteworthy due Wednesday, and Thursday is the sign-off day.

The "all-teams, all-day" test pass must be taken seriously by all Platform committers. Testing is more important than writing code during stabilization week -- we are, after all, the Platform! Our quality effects nearly every other Eclipse project.

Project leads or their delegate should be sure to reserve time on Thursday to handle sign-offs in a timely fashion.

Below I have provided more detail about these points (though, I promise, if all committers read them this week, I will not always send out this much detail. :)

= = = = = = = = =
  • The rule is that on Monday we have the last day of development (and even then, no "big changes"). The goal to have a good build for the full day test pass on Tuesday. After Monday, no feature work or unrelated fixes are allowed -- only regression fixes.
  • On Tuesday no one should develop or fix anything, but literally spend the entire day testing. Ideally, this would not be only their component but also Eclipse as a whole. Ideally, project leads will have a brief list of test activities, such as new features to test, bugs to verify, etc. (but, admittedly, each component is different). The only reason we have builds at all is to have something scheduled for emergency "blockers" and the fact that we live in wide-spread timezones.
  • Wednesday is the fix-day with a focus on fixing regressions found during the test-day. In addition, Wednesday is typically the day that final "New and Noteworthy" write-ups are due from each component.
  • The last Wednesday build is the release candidate every team signs-off on Thursday. Signing-off may involve some re-testing, or at least confirming no changes have been made to your component's code since the last time the component was tested well.
  • No new code changes can be made until the milestone is officially declared. That is, it is not enough that your component has signed off. There is always a chance a re-build will be required at the last minute in which case we want minimal changes from the previous candidate.
  • While not specific to stabilization week, I wanted to remind everyone that all Platform committers should subscribe to platform-releng-dev and eclipse-dev (as well as their own component's mailing lists). Component leads should communicate this to new committers. Please spread the word if you think there are current committers do not know this.
    - The platform-releng-dev list is used to routinely communicate information about builds, timing, rebuilds, off-schedule builds, special activities that must be coordinated, etc.
    - The eclipse-dev list is where we officially announce milestones, release candidates, and releases, in addition to our official plans, and other information the community needs to know.
In my experience, M7 is always a bit sad, since "new stuff" is coming to an end (for the June release) and few of us accomplish all we wanted to. But, be happy, we will be developing for Oxygen before you know it.

Back to the top